Monday, March 23, 2015

Back to Books


Books are probably one of the first tools which contribute in the upbringing of a child. These days, there are books on every topic and lest to say that we have ebooks too to add to the list. But ,not to my surprise,most of the school children never seem to enjoy books while they are at school. And I feel , it is probably not their fault. Books at school are kind of mandatory stuff which automatically becomes boring the moment the word “mandatory” is attached to them. They seem more like a burden than something which I call them-”A big Open Door to Knowledge” I kept telling this to my younger sister many a times whenever she would get pissed off with the idea of going through books/ novels. I have always told her to change her perspective and then look at the Books and that she should feel a difference. It is true , however, that not every book may be the real/desired source of knowledge but every book does contain some knowledge which may or may not interest you. I have seen many defaulter students who would not attend most of the classes but would not mind attending one particular class,also known as “their favorite one” and not only they attend one particular class but also they would be good at that particular subject. I feel that such students are not defaulters, in fact , they are truly honest to themselves and to the people around them. Well, I was definitely not one of them. I am kind of accommodating in the sense that even if the class is boring or useless, I have this knack of identifying some good thing about it so that I can justify my attending that class to myself. In other words, I can not only ignore the fact that the real purpose of the class is getting defeated but also live with that in harmony, unlike defaulters who are just too simple to manipulate the reality in favor of them. My point here is not to show how things can be made favorable to oneself but to bring the reader’s attention to a common observable fact that when a teacher is good, everyone likes to be there at his/her class. In other words, when the “source” of knowledge is good or effective in getting your attention and interest, then even you cannot stop yourself from acquiring the knowledge that the source has to render. In conclusion, Books at school level are just a way to tell youngsters where to look for, if they want to acquire knowledge about some thing. But what books at school fail to teach is how to identify whether the source of knowledge at hand is the most appropriate one and if not, then what to do about it. I have now realized that one must first try to know whether the source of knowledge is meeting one’s requirement of knowledge, and if not, one must continue one’s endeavor to search for the right sources/resources until one finds them. Once the sources are set right, then acquisition of knowledge becomes the most adventurous and most beautiful experience of one’s life...All you need to do is “Just look for what your are really looking for”

No comments:

Post a Comment