Twice it has happened on the same grocery store where I buy the needed stuff that right next to me was standing an Old Person piling up stacks of n number of coins. I could easily make out that He was an old Beggar. This person was there to buy some needed stuff just like me but there was a huge difference.
The difference clearly manifested itself: I felt that I was a beggar and he was not!
He begs for that which he does not have. I don’t even beg for what I don’t have for I am living in the same ignorance in which almost every 2nd person of our generation is living.
The ignorance of “The Value of Money”.
That old man, whose hands were shaking, was counting each and every coin that he had in his bag to get to a total of some value for which he could buy his needed stuff.
On the other hand, I simply took out a note out of my purse and the deal was over.
I am not sure for how long he had been counting when I had reached the counter and I am also not sure for how long did he continue to count after I had left the counter.
I don’t know why but I so much wanted to see his face but I couldn’t gather the courage to look at him in his eye. Such was my state because I felt so helpless.
My mind struggled to think, “How best can I help him”..perhaps it’s the second opportunity ;but even taking out money and giving to him right away when he was not there for begging bt for buying like any other normal customer, dint seem a good idea to me, because I was scared of hurting his self respect.
But this old Beggar taught me a gr88 lesson. He taught me that when we give a rupee coin to someone, what it can mean to him/her.
And God does not always give this opportunity to help others, especially not when u and him/her are at the same level (e.g. customers to a grocery shop!).
And also, even though begging has become a notorious business, still there are people who are in real need.
Beware of ignoring some real needy person in the pursuit of ignoring the fake beggars!
And while giving ,Imagine the smile on the face of the beggar which will eventually come when he/she will actually use this money to contribute to his/her making of a living!
In Indian culture,The highest respect is rendered to the one who supports life.
Every time a beggar/real needy person comes to you, you get an opportunity to Support a LIFE!
:) Lucky Us :)
Nice one...
ReplyDeleteI just love the way u learn lessons from life... Love you dear... U really inspire us.... :)
ReplyDeleteVery Well written, Iam surprised by the way you observe each and every detail, good thought... Keep Writing
ReplyDelete